Welcome To The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts  
home. signup. forum. archives. search. google. articles. downloads. faq. members. weblogs. file info. rss.
 From: Lou Harris
  Where is Lou Harris?
 Kansas City
 Kansas - United States
 Lou Harris
 To: Russell Hill
  Where is Russell Hill?
 Sydney
 Australia
 Russell Hill
 Tags
Subject: RE: CLOSE DATA resolved
Thread ID: 21859 Message ID: 21946 # Views: 19 # Ratings: 0
Version: Visual FoxPro 6 Category: General VFP Topics
Date: Saturday, April 05, 2003 2:32:31 AM         
   


>
> Thanks everyone.
>
> I have finally managed to resolve this problem by changing file names.
>
> It has been really bizarre to debug but I think the problem was with using non-DBF extensions.
>
> In the old days when you had to restrict file names to 8 characters I used to use things like Filename.TRF for a Tax Return File, for example.
>
> In that way I had some sort of meaningful handle on what the file was.
>
> This new program was an old program re-written in VFP and I was still using .RAC, .HOR, .MTG etc files which are actually data tables.
>
> I've never had a problem with this before but for whatever reason I was running up against a brick wall with the "File is in use" message.
>
> I eventually considered changing these file names to NewFilenameRAC.dbf, NewFileNameHOR.dbf and NewFileNameMTG.dbf.
>
> Amazingly enough this did the trick. Everything now works fine and I don't get any strange messages.
>
> One thing I couldn't do though was:
>
> USE FileName.RAC
> COPY TO NewFileNameRAC
> USE NewFileNameRAC
>
> In this case I get the error message "No such file exists .....". However, the following works:
> USE FileName.RAC
> COPY TO NewFileNameRAC.DBF
> USE NewFileNameRAC
>
> So I think from now on I'll stick to .DBF file extensions for data tables.
>
> Thanks for everyone's help and ideas.
>
> Russell.
>

Just on a curious note: You said that you used different extentions (other than .DBF for the tables before) did, by any chance, the "file4" and "file5" have the same file stem, i.e., file four as TEST.ARC and file five as TEST.QPT ?

What I'm wondering is perhaps the ALIAS's were causing problems. If you want to try a test, try the original file names only specify unique alias's when opening them as in:

SELECT 1
USE TABLE1.ABC ALIAS TABLE1

SELECT 2
USE TABLE2.DEF ALIAS TABLE2

SELECT 3
USE TABLE3.GHI ALIAS TABLE3

SELECT 4
USE TABLE4.JKL ALIAS TABLE4

SELECT 5
USE TABLE4.MNO ALIAS TABLE5

* Did the error occur in this case?


Lou Harris
lharris@epiqsystems.com
Software Engineer, EPIQ Systems, Inc.
http://www.epiqsystems.com

COMPLETE THREAD

CLOSE DATA Posted by Russell Hill @ 4/3/2003 7:05:45 AM
RE: CLOSE DATA Posted by Michael Gill @ 4/3/2003 7:51:47 AM
RE: CLOSE DATA Posted by Russell Hill @ 4/3/2003 7:58:20 AM
RE: CLOSE DATA Posted by Jamie Osborn @ 4/3/2003 8:31:20 AM
RE: CLOSE DATA Posted by Chris Van de Velde @ 4/3/2003 10:40:38 AM
RE: CLOSE DATA Posted by Caij Gomez @ 4/3/2003 11:28:29 AM
RE: CLOSE DATA Posted by Michael Gill @ 4/3/2003 5:32:44 PM
RE: CLOSE DATA Posted by Victor Dinculescu @ 4/3/2003 3:49:17 PM
CLOSE DATA resolved Posted by Russell Hill @ 4/4/2003 1:05:21 AM
RE: CLOSE DATA resolved Posted by Lou Harris @ 4/5/2003 2:32:31 AM
RE: CLOSE DATA resolved Posted by Russell Hill @ 4/6/2003 10:38:56 AM