Welcome To The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts  
home. signup. forum. archives. search. google. articles. downloads. faq. members. weblogs. file info. rss.
 From: Michel Levy
  Where is Michel Levy?
 
 France
 Michel Levy
 To: Anders Altberg
  Where is Anders Altberg?
 Uppsala
 Sweden
 Anders Altberg
 Tags
Subject: RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials
Thread ID: 365686 Message ID: 365718 # Views: 119 # Ratings: 1
Version: Not Applicable Category: Databases, Tables and SQL Server
Date: Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:27:31 PM         
   


> >
> >
> >
> > One needs to re-position himself .
> >
> > I did a presentation just recently and I had the shock of my life, when I told the panel that the application was in vfp front end and MS SQL Server Backend.
> >
> > One panel member told the panel members that vf foxpro was no longer suported by Microsoft and that it was a dead program.
> >
> > This resulted in a very nasty exchange between me and him.
> >
> > It was there I realised, what damage Microsoft has done to us .
> >
> >
> > Thanks
>
>
> Actually it's supported through 2014. It's alive and kicking in several hundred thousand business applications around the world.
> The reason MS bought it was of course because they had nothing matching it. It was designed to be their popular frontend to SQL Sever.
> They equipped it with a extended OOP PEM library from VB, but in a much better structure.
> They dropped it because it wasn't paying it's way, not because it failed at what is was designed to do.
> They've also dropped Visual Basic and C.
>
> BTW, when you handle a SQL Server database with VFP every single command used to communicate with the database is EXACTLY the same as with whatever other programming language you could use, i.e. you send a T-SQL command.
>
> -Anders

--
Anders,

> BTW, when you handle a SQL Server database with VFP every single command used to communicate with the database is EXACTLY the same as with whatever other programming language you could use, i.e. you send a T-SQL command.


I disagree: the client language does not necessarily manage all the ODBC provides.
An example with SQL Server and VFP: it is impossible (AFAIK) to use Query Notifications that SQL Server may send to a client, though it is very easy in C# or VB.net.


Michel L

ENTIRE THREAD

visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by DEREK DODOO @ 12/30/2012 9:45:56 AM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Anders Altberg @ 12/30/2012 4:13:01 PM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by DEREK DODOO @ 12/30/2012 4:27:11 PM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Anders Altberg @ 12/30/2012 5:27:04 PM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Michel Levy @ 12/30/2012 6:27:31 PM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Anders Altberg @ 12/30/2012 6:54:55 PM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Michel Levy @ 12/30/2012 7:34:57 PM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Anders Altberg @ 12/31/2012 12:39:29 AM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Michel Levy @ 12/31/2012 10:35:11 AM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Anders Altberg @ 12/31/2012 1:44:15 PM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Michel Levy @ 12/31/2012 2:25:37 PM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Anders Altberg @ 1/1/2013 1:57:14 PM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Michel Levy @ 1/1/2013 2:47:23 PM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Jack Ryan @ 1/25/2013 6:02:41 PM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Michel Levy @ 1/25/2013 7:41:24 PM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Om Rajan @ 12/30/2012 6:10:03 PM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Cetin Basoz @ 12/31/2012 3:45:29 AM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by DEREK DODOO @ 1/24/2013 5:44:43 AM
RE: visual studio 2010 c# tutorials Posted by Cetin Basoz @ 1/24/2013 10:01:30 AM